Sunday, January 1

Brightest Kind of Darkness

Brightest Kind of Darkness
PT Michelle

Publication Date: June 27, 2011
Date Read: December 31, 2011
Source: Review Copy from Author
Format: e-book

From Goodreads:
Nara Collins is an average sixteen-year-old, with one exception: every night she dreams the events of the following day. Due to an incident in her past, Nara avoids using her special gift to change fate…until she dreams a future she can’t ignore.

After Nara prevents a bombing at Blue Ridge High, her ability to see the future starts to fade, while people at school are suddenly being injured at an unusually high rate.

Grappling with her diminishing powers and the need to prevent another disaster, Nara meets Ethan Harris, a mysterious loner who seems to understand her better than anyone. Ethan and Nara forge an irresistible connection, but as their relationship heats up, so do her questions about his dark past.

*Some minor spoilers

I really liked this book and the originality of the story. This book is about a girl names Inara who every night dreams her next day, so she always knows what's going to happen. She seldomly changes anything and every day is like one big deja vu for her. Until one day she prevents a bomb explosion. After that day her dreams come and go. She tries to figure out why her dreams disappear, while she suddenly has to live without knowing what will happen. Further the story revolves around her falling in love with Ethan, struggling with her dreams, what they mean and if she must interfere or not.

The first half of the story was a bit slow. It couldn't profit a lot from a bit more world building. The characters all felt shallow and we didn't really get to know them. There are also lots of memories and dreams that play a role, but in the beginning it is written in such a way that sometimes I had difficulties knowing if something was a dream, memory or real life. Also many thins are happening, but they son't really add up. Later in the book many of these things finally add up and the writing style improved. In the second half there were some developments that made the book much more interesting. The second half of the book focusses more on Inara's dreams and her struggling with it. I really liked Inara's gift of seeing the future. And her struggling what to do with this knowledge and if she had to contact her dad, who left her and her mom when Inara was young.

Because I really liked the originality of the story and her dreams I decided to give this book 4 stars. The characers stayed pretty shallow throughout the book and I would've really liked to get to know them more. I did like the relationship between Inara and Ethan, they were so sweet together. Although I felt they kept a bit too many secrets from each other. Inara is the only person we get to know a bit. She cares strongly for her friends and decided to interferer more than once in the hopes of helping someone.

The ending was a bit rushed and too sudden, but as least it gave me hope that there will be another book. There are so many questions left unanswered, so I really hope there will be a second book.

Photobucket
Photobucket

3 comments:

  1. Good review, and thanks for the honesty. Bummer to hear that the characters fell flat. Good characterizations are a make it or break it for me, because I can't care about the plot if I don't care about the characters. So I might still check this one out, but I'll be working through the top of my TBR pile for a while, first.


    Smiles!
    Lori

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is great!!! I didn't notice guest reviewers...Lucky... I hope I make one day!!! Congrats!!!

    ReplyDelete

I love when people talk to me
Leave me a comment