Friday, August 4

Early Review: The Loneliest Girl in the Universe

The Loneliest Girl in the Universe
Lauren James

Published By: Walker Books
Publication Date: September 7, 2017
Date Read: August 1, 2017
Genre: YA - Sci-Fi
Source: Bought at YALC
Format: Paperback
Pages: 290
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/32601841-the-loneliest-girl-in-the-universe

From Goodreads:
Can you fall in love with someone you’ve never met, never even spoken to – someone who is light years away?

Romy Silvers is the only surviving crew-member of a spaceship travelling to a new planet, on a mission to establish a second home for humanity amongst the stars. Alone in space, she is the loneliest girl in the universe until she hears about a new ship which has launched from Earth – with a single passenger on board. A boy called J.

Their only communication with each other is via email – and due to the distance between them, their messages take months to transmit across space. And yet Romy finds herself falling in love.

But what does Romy really know about J? And what do the mysterious messages which have started arriving from Earth really mean?

Sometimes, there’s something worse than being alone . . .

Lauren James is an author that I hadn't read anything by until I saw her speak at YALC in 2016. Immediately I bought her books and fell head over heels in love with them. When I heard that her new book was going to be sold early at YALC I was so excited. If there was one one book I wanted to buy at YALC, it was The Loneliest Girl in the Universe by Lauren James. I just knew it was going to be amazing. And it was... but so much better and more surprising than I ever could have imagined.

Romy Silvers is the lone surviver on her spaceship. She is the first person to ever be born in space and with both of her parents having perished along the journey, she is a 16-year-old commander. She is on a mission to find Earth II, a new planet in which to start a new colony of people. But the only communications she has is with NASA, until she hears that there is a newer, faster ship on the way to her with a new commander, a boy called J. Their only communication is via email and Romy finds herself falling in love with him. But is everything as she expects and what will happen when their ships finally do connect?

Oh. My. God!! There are no words for me to be able to describe how utterly phenomenal this book is. It was stunning and beautiful. I am already such a big sci-fi fan. My favourite books are fantasy book or books set in space so this is the perfect type of book for me. I loved every moment of it and I thought I had it all figured out. Then Lauren throws the most enormous twist that I ever expected in. I was literally sat there slack jawed just repeating WHAT?!?!?! all the time. I literally could not believe it.

Lauren James has quickly climbed the ranks up and sealed herself near the top of my favourite authors of all time. Anything she writes, I will read. Her writing style is just beautiful and flawless. I love everything about it and as soon as I start reading, I can't stop until the book is finished. I also absolutely adore than in all of her books she has scientists in there. I mean can you get anything cooler than that?

The Loneliest Girl in the Universe was not what I expected... it was a million times better. So many times when I'm reading I already know what is going to happen so to have a book that really surprises me is utterly amazing. I loved every second of this book and I am left wanting more. I really hope that there may be a sequel in the works because it is absolutely stunning. If there is one 2017 release that you read this year made sure it is this one.



No comments:

Post a Comment

I love when people talk to me
Leave me a comment